How to fix a cracked laptop case? Can a laptop case be repaired? Can you fix a crack in the laptop? These are the most likely questions to pop up in your mind if your laptop case accidentally gets cracked.
Well, the unfortunate can happen to anyone, at any time. But there is nothing to worry about because you can always fix it at minimum cost.
However, to fix it like a pro, you need a well-structured, easy-to-understand, and complete guide to help you learn how to fix a cracked laptop case.
We have brought a whole manual to fixing cracks in laptops. In this article, you will find necessary precautions along with 3 simple ways to fix laptop cracks.
Read Also: How To Fix a Cracked Laptop Screen Without Replacing It?
Start with the precautions.
Precautions for Fixing A Cracked Laptop Case
Trying to do anything without taking the necessary precautions can cause severe destruction and damage.
So, to avoid any kind of loss, you should take these important precautions before fixing your cracked laptop case.
Here you go!
A Clean Workplace leads to a Higher Productivity
The foremost precaution of fixing a cracked laptop case is that the workplace where you are going to do your task must be as clean as possible.
The reason is that you might need to open your laptop to fix the cracks. So to ensure that not even a single particle of dust goes into your device and causes harm to it, you should make your workplace completely clean and free of dust.
Secondly, if there are any extra components present at your desk, you may put an external part into your laptop while closing it, which is not related to your gadget.
So always make sure that your workplace is clean, free of dust, and there are no extra components or things in your workplace.
We have reviewed: 7 Best Laptops for Internet Browsing
Clean Your Laptop Surface as Well
Along with cleaning your workstation, you should also consider cleaning the laptop surface.
Since you will be using some kind of glue or something to fix the cracks, hence, the surface must be clean.
If there are any kind of dust particles on the surface or between the cracks, the adhesive will not work properly.
For this, you can use a small wind blower or a can of dust cleaning air.
How to Fix A Cracked Laptop Case?
Once you are completely satisfied with the precautions you took, you should start the fixing process.
Out of many, we have selected the best and simplest three methods.
Below, you will find three ways through which you can learn how to fix a cracked laptop case without having to hire a technician.
Read Also: How to charge a laptop battery externally?
Read all the methods carefully and thoroughly, then select one that suits you best.
Method 1: For Minor Cracks
The fixing procedure of smaller cracks is much different than that for the bigger cracks.
To fix the smaller cracks in your laptop case, all you need to do is follow these steps:
- First of all, you will need super glue.
- Now, ask somebody to strongly press both sides of the crack as closely as possible in a manner as to fill the crack with hands. You can also do it yourself but it might be difficult.
- After that, while the plastic is being held firmly, start pouring the super glue inside the crack.
- Once you feel that enough glue has been poured, put the glue aside and keep holding the plastic.
- Now, wait for 100 seconds while pressing the plastic.
After hundred seconds, leave the plastic and allow the glue to stick completely before moving the laptop in any way.
Method 2: Using Epoxy Putty
Using epoxy to fix the cracks of your laptop is the most useful of all the methods. You can easily purchase it online as well as from any well-reputed hardware store.
Read the following steps to learn how to fix a cracked laptop case with the help of Epoxy Putty.
- First of all, make sure to take the second precaution we discussed earlier.
- Then, you have to prepare the putty for fixing. Usually, it comes in two separate parts. Cut off the section and mix both parts.
- Mix the parts with your fingers well enough that it becomes unified. Because putty works as a result of a chemical reaction. So, always remember to wear safety gloves while doing it.
- To ensure the perfect mixing, try the spread and roll technique repeatedly.
- Now, fill this putty in the crack space. You can use a sharp knife or a blade to chirp the edges of putty to match it with the laptop surface.
- Now wipe out any extra putty from the surface with a damp cloth immediately.
- Once you are satisfied with its look, leave it for about 2-3 hours.
Afterward, you will notice that your putty has become as hard as the laptop surface. To make it look even better you can smooth it with sandpaper of 150- or 220- grit. Moreover, you can also color it according to your laptop’s color.
We have also reviewed some best laptops for Silhouette Cameo, read the article.
Method 3: Using a Soldering Iron
This is a very simple method and can be used for bigger cracks.
- Take a soldering iron and plug it into an electrical socket.
- Once it becomes hot enough, simply start touching it on the crack.
- The heat of soldering iron will melt the plastic and allow it to bond again.
- After reaching the desired amount of molten plastic, turn off the soldering iron and let the plastic cool down.
- Now take 150- or 22- grit sandpaper and smooth the surface accordingly.
We hope that after reading this article, you have successfully learned how to fix a cracked laptop case. However, there are two key points that remember. The first is that whenever you are fixing any kind of issue with your laptop, you need to keep the workplace clean. And second, before fixing the cracks, always remember to clean the laptop properly.